- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, each cut into 4 thick slices
1. Place a non stick baking tray into the oven, and preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Lightly brush the filo pastry sheets with a little of the olive oil and fold in half. Stack the sheets, one on top of the other, on another non-stick baking tray.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat, and add the ground coriander, fennel seeds, spring onions, cumin seeds and garlic. Stir and fry until the spices give off a fragrant aroma - about 30 seconds or so.
4. Add the chilli powder and tomatoes in 2 batches and cook for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to break up the tomato slices. Reserve any cooking juices.
5. Arrange the tomatoes on the pastry, leaving a 5mm border of pastry around the edge.
6. Set the baking tray on top of the hot tray in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden.
7. Drizzle any spicy tomato juices over the tart and serve.
Rate This Recipe