- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 cooked globe artichokes, leaves stripped off, bottoms only well drained
- olive oil, to grease the baking dish
- 6 egg whites
- 125 g parmesan, freshly grated
For the optional salad garnish:
- leaves from a cos lettuce, outer leaves removed roughly shredded
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 210°C/gas 6.
2. Arrange the artichoke bottoms in an oiled ovenproof dish or roasting tin. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold in the cheese. Spoon this soufflé mixture into each artichoke bottom, and bake for 4-5 minutes, until the soufflé is well-risen and golden brown.
3. Make the garnish while the artichokes are baking. Place a wide frying pan over high heat. In a mixing bowl, toss the lettuce with the oil, vinegar and seasoning. When the pan is very hot, add the dressed lettuce and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, until the lettuce just begins to wilt.
4. Arrange a mound of wilted lettuce in the centre of each of four plates, or one serving platter, and arrange the artichokes on top, as soon as they emerge from the oven. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe