- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 12 fresh globe artichokes
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
- large handful of fresh mint, washed and dried
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 200 ml water
- 50 ml olive oil
- garlic bruschetta
- salad leaves
1. Prepare each artichoke by snapping off its stalk and cutting away the tough outer leaves around the base until only the pale heart remains. Scrape out the prickly choke from the centre of heart.
2. As you prepare each artichoke rub it all over with the quartered lemon to prevent it discolouring and place it in a wide saucepan or a stove-proof baking tin.
3. Place a few slices of garlic inside each artichoke. Strip the mint leaves off their stalks and sprinkle over the arthichokes. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Pour in the water and olive oil. Cover the aritchokes with a lid or foil and simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until the artichokes are almost tender all the way through.
5. During the simmering turn the artichokes over to ensure even cooking and baste occasionally, adding in more water or white wine if needed.
6. Serve the cooked artihchokes hot or cold on garlic bruschetta with salad leaves on the side.
Rate This Recipe