- Effort: easy
For the marinade
- 200 ml soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 x 650 g fillet beef steaks
For the salad
- 150 g fine rice noodles
- 150 g Chinese greens, or other Asian greens
- 2 small red onions, finely sliced
- 10 lime leaves
- 3 large mild red chillies, seeds removed, shredded
- 100 g coriander leaves
- 100 g mint leaves
- 100 g basil
For the dressing
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
1. For the marinade, combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour over the beef. Leave on one side for about an hour.
2. Preheat a grill until very hot. Take the beef fillet out of the marinade and grill for 3-5 minutes, on both sides until medium rare.
3. For the salad, bring a large pan of water to the boil, drop in the rice noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked. Tip into a colander and leave on one side to cool.
4. Toss together the salad greens, onions, kaffir lime leaves, chilli, coriander, mint and basil.
5. For the dressing, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar.
6. Slice the warm beef fillet into very thin slices and arrange on the salad. Pour the dressing over and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe