- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 30 g muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp chinese five spice
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 500 g tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 packet of spring roll wrappers
- groundnut oil, for frying
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- firm tofu
- spring onions, finely chopped
- coriander, chopped
Tips and Suggestions
To peel tomatoes, cover with boiling water, leave to stand for 30 seconds, then drain. The skins should slip off easily.
1. Put the red wine, sugar, five-spice powder and onion in a large heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and tip into a serving bowl.
3. Slice the egg roll wrappers into bite-sized pieces.
4. Pour a 2cm layer of oil into a large frying pan. Heat to 175°C or until a cube of bread turns golden brown in 1 minute. Add the prepared egg roll wrappers, and fry, in batches if necessary, until bubbled and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on crumpled paper towel. Season with salt and pepper while still hot. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
5. Sprinkled the salsa with tofu, and the fried egg roll chips with chopped spring onion and coriander.
Rate This Recipe