- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 40 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
- 1 small sweet potatoes, approx 100g
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 2 lime leaves, shredded
- 30 g hot curry paste
- 15 g mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- black pepper
- flour, for rolling potato cakes in
- 1 egg, beaten
- breadcrumbs, for coating
For the Oriental Coleslaw:
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red onions, finely sliced
- 50 g bean sprouts
- 1 carrot, grated
- 6 lime leaves, finely sliced, stalks removed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 30 g wasabi
- 2 tbsp mirin, (Japanese rice vinegar)
- juice of 1 limes
- 6 tbsp chopped coriander
- black pepper
- wedges of limes, to garnish
- rocket, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Gas 5. Bake the sweet potato in its jacket until tender, around 20-30 minutes. Scoop out the sweet potato flesh and mash.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of salted water boil the chopped potatoes until tender; drain well. Return the potatoes to the pan, cover and cook gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, shaking often, to remove excess moisture. Mash the potatoes.
3. Mix together the mashed sweet potato and mashed potato. Add the chilli, lime leaves, curry paste, mayonnaise, garlic and chopped coriander. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Cover the potato mixture and refrigerate for 40 minutes.
5. While the potato mixture is chilling make the Oriental Coleslaw. In a large bowl toss together the red cabbage, onion, bean sprouts, carrot and kaffir lime leaves. Make a dressing by mixing together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, wasabi, lime juice and 4 tbsp chopped coriander. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss the red cabbage mixture with the dressing and set aside.
6. Mould the potato mixture into patties. Coat in flour, then dip into beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
7. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Fry the potato cakes until golden-brown on both sides.
8. To serve the dish, place a scoop of Oriental coleslaw on a plate, top with a potato cake, sprinkle with remaining chopped coriander, garnish with lime wedges and rocket sprigs and serve.
Rate This Recipe