- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 400 g asparagus
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tbsp '00' flour
- 200 ml full-fat milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 120 g gorgonzola cheese, chopped into small cubes
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add in the asparagus and boil until tender, around 3-5 minutes.
2. Drain, allow to cool and chop finely.
3. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
4. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan and add in the chopped asparagus, cooking it for 1-2 minutes, allowing excess moisture to evaporate.
5. Add in the flour and cook very gently for a further minute.
6. Stir in the milk, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and slowly bring to the boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat and cook gently, stirring, until thickened.
7. Once ready, cool slightly and then gradually beat in the egg yolks, adding in a little at a time and 60g of the Gorgonzola cheese.
8. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the asparagus mixture.
9. Place the asparagus mixture in a well-buttered 1.3 litre soufflé dish and sprinkle with the remaining Gorgonzola cheese.
10. Bake in the middle the oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe