- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 16 asparagus
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices soda bread
For the Hollandaise sauce
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 5 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 0.5 lemon juice, juice
- 250 g butter
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain, wrap in a cloth and leave on one side.
2. To make the hollandaise sauce, place the egg yolks in a food processor. Pour in the lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Blend together.
3. Meanwhile, place the butter in a saucepan and heat until melted.
4. With the food processor on, gradually pour the hot butter into the egg yolk mixture, until it emulsifies.
5. To poach the eggs, bring a saucepan of water with a splash of vinegar to the boil. Break each egg into a cup and gently place each egg from the cup into the boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the white is set. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.
6. Meanwhile, toast the soda bread on both sides under a grill. Remove the bread, but leave the grill on.
7. To serve, take a slice of grilled soda bread and place it on a warm, heatproof plate. Top with 4 asparagus spears and place a poached egg on top. Pour over a large helping of hollandaise sauce. Repeat, making 4 portions in all. Flash under the preheated grill to slightly colour. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe