- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the asparagus in the hole
- 500 g asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 150 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp chopped chervil
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped mint
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil, duck fat or dripping
For the spring onion cream
- 150 ml double cream
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped chervil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
Tips and Suggestions
Replace the duck fat with vegetable oil to make a veggie version of this dish
1. For the asparagus in the hole: preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and boil the asparagus for 20 seconds then drain and refresh in ice cold water.
3. In a bowl whisk together the flour and milk, followed by the eggs, to make a batter. Stir in the garlic, half of the chopped herbs and a pinch of salt and set aside.
4. Pour enough oil into a baking dish to generously cover the bottom then heat in the oven for a 3-4 minutes until smoking. Carefully arrange the asparagus in the hot fat then pour the herb batter over the asparagus. Transfer to the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until risen and golden.
5. For the spring onion cream: whip the cream with the vinegar and pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then fold in the spring onions and herbs.
6. Serve the asparagus in the hole with the spring onion cream alongside.
Rate This Recipe