- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 bunches of asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2.5 cm ginger, sliced into short, fine lengths
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 scallops, shelled
- soy sauce, for drizzling
1. Place the asparagus in a heatproof bowl, and pour over boiling water to blanch it. Set aside until al dente, then drain.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the onion and ginger and fry, stirring often, until the onion is lightly browned, around 5 minutes.
3. Drain the blanched asparagus and coat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Meanwhile, preheat a griddle pan.
4. Cook the asparagus on the griddle pan until marked on both sides.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the scallops to the pan and cook until lightly crusted on each side.
6. To assemble the dish, place a portion of fried onion on each of 4 serving plates. Top with the scallops, then the charred asparagus. Drizzle with a little soy sauce and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe