- Serves: 16 as a snack
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 bundles of asparagus
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 50 g butter
- 2 handfuls parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and line a tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cook the asparagus in well salted water boiling water, cooking it for only 1-2 minutes once it has come back to the boil.
3. Drain and cool the asparagus in cold water then drain again, making sure its thoroughly dry with a tea towel.
4. Cut the asparagus two thirds of the way down, discarding the lower stem.
5. Take one sheet of filo pastry and brush it lightly but thoroughly all over with butter. Cut each piece into four. Place each asparagus spear along the bottom of your filo piece and roll snugly but not over tightly. Picking it up with your fingers brush the outside with butter again, then scatter the grated parmesan thoroughly over the top of each cigar.
6. Lay them down on the tray with the outside edge of the filo facing down on the paper, this stops them unravelling when they cook. Once all the asparagus are in place season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook in the oven for 15-18 minutes until deep golden and crispy.
Recipe from British Asparagus.
Want to see more? Take a look at all of our asparagus recipes.
Rate This Recipe