- Serves: makes 16-20 balls
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 700 g aubergines
- 60 g parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 g dried breadcrumbs
- 100 g plain flour
- 125 g buffalo mozzarella, cut into 16 pieces
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Tips and Suggestions
If you don`t have a gas hob, you can cook the aubergines until blackened in a hot oven.
1. Pierce the aubergines and grill over a gas ring, turning regularly until they have blackened (see cook's notes).
2. Peel the aubergines under slowly running water. Chop the flesh and drain well.
3. Mix the aubergine, cheese, parsley, one egg, and 25g of the breadcrumbs together.
4. At this point, you can either add the mozzarella and form the mixture into balls, or form the aubergine mixture as it is into balls and use the chunks of mozzarella to create a stuffing in the centre.
5. Coat the balls in flour and dip into the remaining beaten egg. Roll the balls in the remaining breadcrumbs, making sure they are thoroughly and evenly coated.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan and deep-fry until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with a light tomato sauce.
Rate This Recipe