- Effort: easy
- 4 large purple aubergines, cut into 2cm cubes
- 150 g celery, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 250 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch mint
- 20 g tomato paste
- 3 tbsp honey
- 20 g sultanas, soaked in water
- 20 g pine nuts
- 2 g dried oregano
- olive oil, for frying
- sourdough, griddled
1. Fry the aubergine cubes in sunflower oil until golden. Set aside.
2. Blanch the celery in salted boiling water for a few seconds and refresh in iced water. Set aside.
3. Put the red wine vinegar and sugar in a saucepan, and reduce to a glaze.
4. Heat olive oil in pan, add chopped garlic and cook for a minute or two before adding mint leaves. Turn heat off.
5. Once the red wine vinegar and sugar is reduced, add tomato paste and honey and heat through until the puree has dissolved. Pour this sauce over the aubergine and celery pieces, add the soaked sultanas and mix all well together.
6. Slice some sourdough, drizzle with a little olive oil and toast the bread lightly on each side in a griddle pan.
7. Toast pinenuts, add them to the caponata, along with the dried oregano. Pile the mixture on top of the sourdough bread and serve.
Rate This Recipe