- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meatballs
- 1 large aubergine, chopped into small chunks
- 2 slices stale bread, crust removed
- 250 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 250 g pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 250 g parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated
- 125 g breadcrumbs
- 125 g plain flour, plus extra for dredging
For the tomato sauce
- 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 700 g tomato purée
- parmigiano reggiano, freshly grated for sprinkling
1. For the meatballs: boil the aubergine in salted boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain well and let cool. Squeeze out any excess water from the eggplant.
2. In a bowl add bread and milk. Allow bread to sit and absorb the milk for a few minutes. Squeeze out as much of the milk from the bread as possible.
3. In another mixing bowl, add eggplant and break up the bread into the bowl. Add eggs, cheese and salt. Then add breadcrumbs and flour. (If your mixture has a lot of moisture you may need to add more breadcrumbs and flour.)
4. Mix well until ingredients are evenly distributed. With your hands, shape the meatballs into the size of golf balls. Dredge the balls in flour.
5. For the tomato sauce: In a large saucepan heat up olive oil. Sauté onion and add tomato puree and salt. Bring to a light boil then turn heat to medium.
6. Add meatballs into the sauce and allow to cook for approximately 15 minutes. Plate and add parmigiano cheese.
Rate This Recipe