- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes , plus sweating
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 red peppers
- olive oil, for drizzling and brushing
- 2 aubergines, cut into 1.25cm slices
- 2 buffalo mozzarella, drained and thinly sliced
- 4 handfuls of wild rocket
For the dressing for the rocket salad:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- handful of chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- black pepper
For the anchovy dressing for the stacks:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tinned anchovies, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp oregano, roughly chopped
1. First make the dressing for the rocket salad. Combine all the ingredients together and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7. Drizzle the peppers with a very little oil and roast for 20-30 minutes until well charred. Allow to cool a little, put them in a heatproof plastic bag and leave to sweat for about 20 minutes. The charred skin will then come away easily. Halve the peppers, remove the seeds and membranes and cut the flesh into largish chunks.
3. Preheat a griddle pan, brush the slices of aubergine lightly with oil and griddle on both sides until softened and nicely coloured. Set aside.
4. Make the dressing for the stacks by combining the olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the balsamic vinegar, the chopped anchovies and oregano, and season with pepper to taste, remembering that anchovies are quite salty. You may want to add more balsamic vinegar, depending on personal taste.
5. Assemble 4 aubergine stacks on a baking tray by arranging first four layers of sliced aubergine, topped with a couple of slices of mozzarella, topped with some slices of roasted pepper. Repeat these layers again, finishing off with a slice of grilled aubergine on top of the stack. The aubergine stacks can be prepared ahead up to this point.
6. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5 and cook the stacks for 7-10 minutes, or until the mozzarella is starting to ooze out.
7. Place each stack on a bed of rocket tossed in the dressing, dribble a little of the anchovy dressing over the top and serve.
Rate This Recipe