- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the aubergines
- 2 medium aubergines
- 250 g mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tbsp basil
For the marinade
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp black beluga lentils, cooked
- 200 g plum tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice the aubergines lengthways into 4 long tongues.
2. Combine all the marinade ingredients. Pour the marinade over the aubergine steaks and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat a grill to medium; place the aubergine tongues on a baking sheet and grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
4. Top the flesh side of each tongue with a slice of mozzarella cheese and return to the grill for a further 4-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
5. For the dressing, combine the lentils, tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl and season to taste.
6. Place the aubergine steaks on a large platter and spoon over the dressing. Add a good grinding of freshly ground black pepper, scatter over the basil leaves and serve.
Rate This Recipe