- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 x 1 cm sliced aubergines
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 large slices French bread, or Italian bread, cut on the diagonal
- 100 g mozzarella, sliced
- salt and black pepper
- mixed salad leaves, to serve
1. Coat the aubergine slices in the flour, then dip in the egg. Mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and thyme, and use to coat the slices.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the garlic for 30 seconds, then remove and discard. Fry the aubergine in the same pan for 5-8 minutes, turning once, until tender and golden; remove and keep warm. Cook the tomatoes briefly in the same pan then remove and keep warm.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Toast the bread on both sides, then drizzle one side with any pan oil or extra virgin olive oil. Lay the cheese on the bread and grill until it starts to melt. On the serving plates arrange the fried tomato slices over the cheese, then top with aubergine. Serve with the mixed salad leaves.
Rate This Recipe