- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 30 g ginger, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic
- 2 red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- g roasted cashew nuts, crushed
- lemon juice
- bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- sea salt
- sprigs coriander, to garnish
- coconut rice
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Char one of the aubergines over a gas flame, turning frequently, until blackened. Roast the other aubergine in the oven for about 15 minutes. Allow both aubergines to cool, then remove the skins. Place the flesh in a colander to drain of any bitter juices.
3. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 2 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli, followed by the garam masala. Cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the tomatoes and juice, crushing them slightly.
5. Add the aubergines, sugar and cashews. Season with salt to taste and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Add lemon juice to taste. Stir in the chopped coriander. Garnish with coriander sprigs.
7. Serve with coconut rice and poppadoms.
Rate This Recipe