- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 20 mins salting
- Effort: medium
- 2 aubergines, sliced lengthways into 6 slices each
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 125 g buffalo mozzarella
- 125 g parmesan, chopped
- 50 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- A small bunch parsley, chopped
- rocket, to serve
- parmesan shavings, to serve
For the cherry tomato sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 grams cherry tomatoes, halved
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- a dash balsamic vinegar
- black pepper
1. Sprinkle salt over the aubergine slices and set aside for 20 minutes to draw out the excess moisture.
2. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
3. Fry the onion and garlic gently until softened, around 5 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, red wine, tomato puree and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently until thickened, stirring now and then, around 15 minutes.
5. Rinse the aubergine and squeeze dry. Brush with the olive oil. Grill the aubergine slices until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
6. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
7. In a food processor blend together the mozzarella, Parmesan, breadcrumbs and parsley until the mixture resembles crumbs. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Place a portion of the mozzarella mixture on each aubergine slice and roll up the aubergine over the filling. Pack the filled aubergine slices tightly in an ovenproof dish.
9. Pour over the cherry tomato sauce and bake the aubergines for 20 minutes.
10. Serve with rocket leaves and Parmesan shavings.
Rate This Recipe