- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: plus rising and freezing
- Effort: medium
For the babas:
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 150 g plain flour
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
For the bourbon and lemongrass syrup:
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 500 ml bourbon whiskey
For the peanut semi-freddo:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 500 ml double cream
- 1 bar of peanut brittle, smashed
1. First make the semi-freddo. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar until pale.
2. In a separate bowl, whip the double cream until thick. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Stir the smashed peanut brittle into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the whipped double cream and whisked egg white.
4. Transfer the peanut brittle mixture into a lidded, shallow, freezer-proof plastic container. Freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.
5. Make the babas. In a mixing bowl, mix together the warm water, yeast and sugar and set aside to rest for 5 minutes, until the mixture becomes foamy.
6. Add the egg, flour, lemon zest and butter and mix into a soft, elastic dough. Set aside to rise for 15-10 minutes.
7. Break down the risen dough and spoon it into 6 greased muffin tins, filling them one-third to one-half full. Set aside to rise until doubled in size.
8. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas 5.
9. Bake the babas for fifteen minutes or until they are golden brown.
10. Meanwhile, prepare the Bourbon and lemongrass syrup. Combine the sugar, water, lemongrass and Bourbon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 to 3 minutes, remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
11. Prick the freshly-baked babas all over. Ladle the Bourbon and lemongrass syrup over the babas. Serve at once with the peanut brittle semi-freddo.
Rate This Recipe