- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 ml rich red wine
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- light brown sugar, to taste
- 6 rashers pancetta orstreaky bacon
- 1 kg baby squid
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- bunches coriander, finely chopped
- knob of butter
- 2 heads red and white chicory, finely shredded lengthways
- sprigs coriander, for garnishing
1. Boil the red wine until reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Remove from the heat and add the red wine vinegar. Stir in the olive oil to split the red wine. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Set aside.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan and fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to one side, leaving the fat in the pan. Add the squid and gently fry for few minutes, until cooked. Add the garlic, shallots and coriander, stir and remove from the heat. Add a small knob of butter, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan.
3. Arrange the chicory on a plate, spoon over the squid and drizzle with the red wine sauce and pan juices. Garnish with the coriander sprigs and bacon.
Rate This Recipe