- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g fresh cockles
- 4 x 120-150 g thick bacon chops
- 200-250 g laver bread
- 1 large knob butter
- 1 tsp salt
1. Place the cockles in a bowl of cold water, agitating them every so often with your hand to loosen any sand, then rinse under clean running water for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat a lightly oiled grill or griddle pan and cook the bacon chops for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, put the laver bread into a pan with a knob of butter and gently toast.
4. Put the cockles into a large saucepan with a little water and the salt, cover and cook on a high heat, shaking the pan every so often, until the cockles open. Discard any that do not open, then drain.
5. Spoon the laver bread on to 4 serving plates, place a bacon chop on each and scatter over the cockles.
Rate This Recipe