- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the braised cabbage
- 2/3 heads Savoy cabbage, cored, cut into wedges
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves only
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 75 ml cider vinegar
- 100 g butter, diced
- cracked black pepper
For the scallops
- 20 scallops, roe removed
- 10 slices Canadianstreaky bacon
- 8 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 wooden skewers, about 10cm long, soaked in water
- salt and black pepper, to season
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Place the cabbage on a large sheet of foil, top with onion, garlic, thyme, maple syrup and cider vinegar. Dot with butter and season with salt and cracked black pepper. Seal the foil edges, place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
3. While the cabbage is cooking, season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper. Cut the bacon in half crosswise. Wrap each scallop in a piece of bacon, string 5 of them onto each skewer and drizzle with half the maple syrup.
4. About 10 minutes before the cabbage is cooked, turn up the heat to 220C/gas 7. Place the scallops on a baking tray, and cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until the scallops are opaque and the bacon is cooked.
5. Drizzle with remaining syrup and freshly ground black pepper and serve with the cabbage and mashed potatoes.
Rate This Recipe