- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g shortcrust pastry
- 4 cooking apples, peeled and cored
- 55 g brown sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 25 g butter
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 55 g dried apricots, chopped
- 25 g toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- eggs, beaten for glazing
- clotted cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Roll out the shortcrust pastry finely. Cut out 4 even-sized pastry squares, each large enough to enclose one apple.
3. Mix together the sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, dried apricots and hazelnuts. Fill each apple cavity with the butter mixture.
4. Place each apple in the centre of a pastry square. Draw up the edges of the pastry around each apple, brush the edges with water and press together to seal tightly.
5. Turn the apples over so that the pastry joins are underneath and place on a floured baking sheet.
6. Brush each apple dumpling with the beaten egg.
7. Bake the apple dumpling for 30 minutes.
8. Just before serving sprinkle each dumpling with sugar and make a hole in the top. Spoon a teaspoon of clotted cream into each hole and serve.
Rate This Recipe