- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 10 mins
- Effort: easy
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 ml water
- 600 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthways
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3.
2. Put the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan and dissolve the sugar slowly. Bring to the boil and boil, without stirring, until the sugar syrup caramelises, turning golden brown.
3. Pour the caramel into a 600ml shallow, oven-proof dish, heated slightly to prevent the caramel cracking. Turn the dish to coat it evenly with the caramelised sugar.
4. Heat the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla pod until warm. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse. Remove the vanilla pod and reheat gently.
5. Lightly whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl. Pour the warm milk into the eggs, add the soft brown sugar and mix well.
6. Strain the milk mixture into the caramel-coated dish.
7. Place the dish in a baking tray and pour in warm water around the dish until it reaches halfway up around the sides of the dish.
8. Bake for 1 hour until set. Set aside to cool before turning out.
Rate This Recipe