- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g dark chocolate, minimum 60% cocoa solids
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs, seperated
- 50 g caster sugar
- pinch ground star anise
1. Line the base and sides of a 20cm spring-bottomed cake tin with greaseproof paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a metal bowl placed over a pan of simmering water.
3. Whisk the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the anise for 30 seconds. Stir in the melted chocolate and mix well.
4. Beat the egg whites with the remaining sugar until at the stiff peak stage. Fold in one-third of the whites into the chocolate. Gently fold in the remainder, and pour the mixture into the cake tin.
5. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until just firm to the touch. Serve at room temperature.
Rate This Recipe