- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cod steaks, each 180g
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 sticks celery
- 1 leek, white only, chopped
- 12 cloves garlic, chopped
- half a celeriac
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 250 ml white wine
- 1 large Desiree potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 and a half litre vegetable stock
- black pepper
- 1 tsp strands saffron
- 4 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs, (such as tarragon, chervil, parsley and dill)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, leek, garlic, celeriac and fennel.
2. Fry, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Add the potato, saffron and white wine. Cook briskly until the wine is reduced by half, then add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
4. Blend the vegetable mixture until smooth in a jug blender or food processor, then pass through a sieve. The resulting sauce should be quite thick. Gently reheat the sauce, stirring now and then.
5. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/Gas 7. Place the cod steaks on a lightly oiled non-stick baking sheet and lightly brush with olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Bake the cod steaks for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Meanwhile, mix together the remaining olive oil with the chopped mixed herbs.
7. Ladle the hot sauce into 4 deep serving plates. Place a baked cod steak in the centre of each plate. Drizzle over the herb olive oil and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe