- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the rocket pesto
- 50 g rocket
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 30 g pine kernels
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
For the herring
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 150 g rocket, roughly chopped
- 12 herring fillets
For the chickpeas
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. To make the rocket pesto, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and blanch the rocket leaves for 30 seconds. Refresh in cold water, squeeze dry and place in a food processor.
3. Add the grated Parmesan, pine nuts, olive oil and seasoning and whiz until the mixture becomes a coarsely textured paste.
4. For the herring, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic over a gentle heat until softened.
5. Add the rocket, increase the heat and cook for 1 minute, until just wilted. Season well and spoon the mixture onto a baking tray in 4 circular heaps.
6. Top each with 3 fillets of herring, season well and pour over the remaining olive oil. Bake for 5-7 minutes. While the herring is in the oven, cook the chickpeas.
7. For the chickpeas, heat a frying pan with the vegetable oil and fry the chickpeas for a couple of minutes until golden and crisp. Add the chopped chilli and season well.
8. Carefully transfer the herring and rocket to 4 warmed dinner plates and serve immediately, surrounded by the chickpeas and topped with the rocket pesto.
Rate This Recipe