- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the tart
- 250 g shortcrust pastry
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 200 g caster sugar
- 100 ml Irish cream liqueur
- freshly grated nutmeg
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the tropical fruit salsa
- 1 mango
- 1 paw paw
- 10 strawberries
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 passion fruit
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 bunch mint, chopped finely
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Roll out the dough and line the 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin or flan dish, pressing the dough firmly into the base and sides of the tin and leaving the dough hanging over the sides of the flan tin.
3. Line the base with clingfilm or baking parchment and fill with ceramic or dry haricot beans. Bake 'blind' for 15 minutes until cooked. Remove from the oven and cut away the excess pastry from the sides.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 120C/gas ½.
5. For the filling; bring the cream to the boil and remove from the heat.
6. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until blended.
7. Pour the hot cream onto the egg yolks and sugar, stirring well.
8. Stir in the Irish cream liqueur and pour through a sieve into a bowl or jug. Skim off any froth from the top.
9. Pour into the pastry case and sprinkle with the freshly ground nutmeg.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes until set; cool for 30 minutes.
11. For the tropical fruit salsa; cut the mango, paw paw and strawberries into small cubes and put into a bowl.
13. Gently stir in the caster sugar, lime juice, passion fruit pulp, vanilla extract and finely chopped mint until combined.
14. Sift the icing sugar over the top of the tart and serve with the tropical fruit salsa.
Rate This Recipe