- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 rashers of smoked lean bacon, chopped
- 500 g extra lean beef, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- black pepper
- 250 g long grain rice
- 200 g parmesan, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion, crushed garlic and the bacon for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
2. Add the minced beef and stir in the tomato puree. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the meat has browned.
3. Add the peeled tomatoes and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add 300ml water to the mixture. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the ove to 180°C/gas 4. Grease a casserole dish. Mix together the meat sauce, long grain rice, Parmesan and eggs and place in the casserole dish. Add 900ml water, mixing well.
5. Bake the rice mixture for 30 minutes. Stir the mixture thoroughly, then continue baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the rice has absorbed the liquid and become a rich golden colour. Serve.
Rate This Recipe