- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the parmesan crisps
- 100 g parmesan, or parmesan-style cheese, finely grated
For the risotto
- 400 ml good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 100 g softened butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g risotto rice, such as arborio
- 100 ml white wine
- 250 g mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 2 tbsp marjoram, or parsley
- generous squeeze lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp mascarpone, (optional)
1. For the parmesan crisps: preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Using a round cookie cutter 3-4cm in diameter, make small disc-shaped mounds of parmesan cheese about 23mm on the parchment. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is golden.
2. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and lift the parchment, with the cheese still on it, from the baking sheet. After 2-3 minutes the cheese discs will be crisp and can be removed from the paper and kept in a dry place for up to 2 hours. Leave the oven on to cook the risotto.
3. For the risotto: Put the stock in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and bring to just under simmering point. Meanwhile, in a lidded casserole, melt 25g of the butter over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes, until soft.
4. Stir the rice into the onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly but gently. Pour in the wine, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.
5. Carefully pour all the hot stock into the casserole dish and stir to combine. Cover and transfer to the oven for 10-12 minutes, until the rice is just al dente (tender but retaining some bite).
6. Meanwhile, place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add 25g of the butter and once hot, add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are wilted and lightly golden. Remove from the heat and set aside.
7. Take the risotto from the oven and add the grated parmesan and the remaining 50g of butter, diced. Use a wooden spoon to vigorously beat everything together. Stir in the fried mushrooms, then the marjoram or parsley, lemon juice and mascarpone (if using).
8. Serve the risotto immediately garnished with the parmesan crisps and some additional grated parmesan.
Rate This Recipe