- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 450 g rhubarb, chopped into medium-size pieces
- 115 g sugar
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 85 g suet
- zest of 1 large oranges
- 150 ml water
- custard or cream, to serve
1. Place the rhubarb in a saucepan. Cook gently until softened. Add the sugar and cook gently until slightly thickened. Cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
3. Stir the flour, suet and orange zest together in a large bowl and add the water. Mix well to make a firm dough.
4. Roll out the dough to form a rectangle, which is about 20cm by 30cm.
5. Strain excess liquid out of the rhubarb and spread thickly over the dough, leaving a 2.5cm edge free of rhubarb.
6. Roll the dough up over the rhubarb filling and place on a greased baking sheet.
7. Bake the roly-poly for 40 minutes until golden brown, tipping off any fat as the pudding bakes.
8. Serve the roly-poly warm from the oven with custard or cream.
Rate This Recipe