- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g fresh squid, cleaned and diced
- black pepper
- 150 g fresh piquillo peppers
- pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- dashes of sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 g oven-dried tomatoes, diced
- 50 g pitted black olives, diced
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 1 whole sea bass, (900g-1.25 kg)
For the Pesto:
- 100 g pine kernels
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 100 g parmesan, grated
- 100 g pecorino cheese, (Pecorino Romano, if available) grated
- 2 large bunches of leaves basil
- extra virgin olive oil, as required
- 250 g fresh tagliolini
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. First make the pesto. Using a pestle and mortar pound the basil with the pine nuts and garlic to a paste. Mix in the Parmesan and the Pecorino and gradually add enough olive oil to make a thin paste. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and set aside.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add the squid and pan-fry for 2-3 minutes, until opaque. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove the squid with a slotted spoon and reserve.
4. Add the piquillo peppers to the frying pan. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and the sugar and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the sherry vinegar and cook until the peppers are glazed. Mix in the balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced. Remove the pepper mixture with a slotted spoon and reserve.
6. Add the garlic to the frying pan and fry gently until softened, around 2-3 minutes. Mix in the oven-dried tomatoes, black olives, thyme leaves, fried piquillo pepper mixture, fried squid and a tablespoon of the pesto. Mix well and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside to cool.
7. Stuff the sea bass with the squid mixture and place in an oiled baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes until cooked through.
8. Meanwhile, cook the tagliolini in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente, around 3 minutes, drain and toss with pesto.
9. Serve the sea bass with the pesto-tossed tagliolini.
Rate This Recipe