- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 whole sea bream, or red snappergutted and scaled
- black pepper
- 1/2 red onions, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- juice of 1/2 oranges
- juice 1 limes
- 1/4 green peppers, sliced
- small handful coriander leaves
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 allspice berries, crushed
- 2 tbsp achiote, liquid or powder
- 1 pieces banana leaves, large enough to wrap the whole fish
- crispy tortillas
1. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Make incisions in the flesh of the fish and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Mix together the red onion, citrus juice, green pepper, coriander, oregano, oil, allspice and achiote. Season with a little salt and place half of the mixture inside the body cavity.
3. Toast the banana leaf over an open flame to make it more pliable and release the flavours. Place the banana leaf onto a large piece of tin foil and place the fish onto the banana leaf. Pour the remaining achiote marinade on top. Wrap the fish with the leaf, and then the foil.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the fish is just cooked through. Unwrap the fish and serve immediately with fresh guacamole and crispy tortillas.
Rate This Recipe