- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 large onions, peeled and left whole
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 300 ml milk
- 25 g butter
- 150 ml double cream
- 10 g plain flour
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Stud each onion with a clove. Put the onions into a lidded ovenware dish and add in the bay leaf. Pour over the milk and dot over the butter.
3. Cover the onions and bake for 45 minutes or until the onions are tender, but not falling apart.
4. Once cooked, remove the onions and keep warm. Keep the oven on at 180°C/gas 4.
5. Transfer the milk to a saucepan and add the double cream and flour. Stirring, gently bring to the boil and simmer until thickened.
6. Add the cheese and mustard and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Return the onions to the ovenware dish, pour over the sauce and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve.
Rate This Recipe