- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1 large egg
- 60 g caster sugar
- few drops of almond essence
- 30 g ground rice
- 60 g ground almonds
- blanched flaked almonds
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 85 g plain flour
- 85 g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 40 g margarine, hard and cut into small pieces
- 40 g lard, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cold water
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Sift the flours and salt into a bowl. Rub the margarine and lard into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Don't over mix.
3. Sprinkle the water over the flour mixture. Using a knife, stir in the water until the mixture comes together in a ball. Knead lightly with some flour, if necessary.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until big enough to fit the tin. Allow for the sides.
5. Using a rolling pin for support, lift the pastry into the flan tin and line the base and sides. Trim off the excess with a rolling pin or sharp knife. Save the trimmings.
6. Spread the jam over the pastry base.
7. To make the filling, put the egg, sugar, almond essence, ground rice and almonds in a bowl. Beat together until smooth, using a wooden spoon or spatula.
8. Spread the filling evenly over the jam-covered pastry base.
9. Roll out the pastry trimming and cut into thin strips. Carefully twist each strip and place over the filling to form a lattice pattern.
10. Place an almond in each hole in the lattice.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 180°C/gas 4 and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the filling is firm.
Rate This Recipe