- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 2 red chillies
- 2 long red peppers
- 2 bulbs fennel, thinly sliced with fronds reserved
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 150 g red trviso chicory, sliced
- 200-250 g curly kale, leaves stripped from stems
- 1 puntarelle heart or chicory, (optional)
1. Bubble the balsamic vinegar in a heavy-based saucepan for about 7 minutes until sticky and reduced by half. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
2. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Place the whole chillies and red peppers on the pan and cook over a medium-high heat until lightly charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the chillies and peppers to a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to steam until the skins have loosened.
3. Meanwhile, lightly char the fennel slices on the griddle pan, remove to a plate and drizzle with the olive oil. Place the fennel fronds in a bowl with the red treviso, drizzle with a little of the reduced vinegar and set aside.
4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the kale leaves and puntarelle cook for about 4 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
5. Scrape or peel the skins off the chillies and peppers, then halve lengthways and scrape away the seeds. Tear the flesh.
6. To serve: divide the fennel slices among 4 plates, then make separate piles of the chillies and peppers, the Treviso salad and the cooked vegetables. Drizzle with the reduced balsamic vinegar and some olive oil, and season to taste.
Rate This Recipe