- Serves: 10
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
For the cake
- 150 g butter
- 75 g light soft brown sugar
- 50 g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 2 medium bananas, approx 180-200g peeled weight
- 2 tbsp Nutella
For the icing
- 75 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 25 g butter, softened
- 1½ tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- chopped toasted hazelnuts
1. For the cake: pre-heat oven to 180C/160 fan/gas 4. Line an 18cm square baking tin.
2. Cream together the softened butter, sugars and vanilla, until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs into the mixture, a little at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour each time to avoid curdling. Sift the remaining flour into the bowl, and fold in gently.
4. Mash the bananas with a fork, making sure no large pieces remain. Fold into the cake mixture. Spread half the mixture into the bottom of the tin.
5. Gently warm the Nutella in a small saucepan or microwave. Using a teaspoon, dot the Nutella across the surface of the cake mixture in the tin and use a sharp knife or toothpick to marble it evenly throughout. Cover this with the remaining cake mix and spread evenly.
6. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the cake starts to shrink away from the edges of the tin. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. For the icing: sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Rub the softened butter into the icing sugar using the back of a wooden spoon, then add the milk and Nutella. Whisk with an electric mixer.
8. To decorate: once the cake has cooled, spread a thin layer of icing over the surface and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Cut into 10 slices.
Rate This Recipe