- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus standing time
- Effort: medium
- 75 g chocolate
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 150 g crumbs fromloaf gingerbread, slightly dry
- 50 g butter
- 2 tbsp light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 bananas
- whipped cream, to serve
1. Put the chocolate in a saucepan and pour over the milk and rum. Melt the chocolate over a gentle heat. Bring to the boil and pour the chocolate milk over the ginger cake crumbs. Mix well and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
2. Soften the butter and beat together with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the egg yolks and then add the soaked crumbs.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
5. Pour half the mixture into a 13cm buttered pudding basin. Spoon over the mashed bananas and then pour on the rest of the mixture. Cover with greased, greaseproof paper and then a layer of aluminium foil. Steam until set - about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours.
6. Turn out and serve warm with whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe