- Serves: Makes 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
For the base
- 1 x 20cm victoria sponge cake, bought ready made or baked at home
For the meringue
- 5 tbsp water
- 180 g caster sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp coffee essence
For the chocolate sauce
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 ml water
- 200 g dark chocolate
For the ice cream
- 4 bananas, cut into 2.5cm chunks and frozen
- 50 g caster sugar
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Tips and Suggestions
Swap bananas for strawberries for a change, they work very well
Serve this generously as you can't refreeze it - and it would be a terrible shame to waste any...
1. For the base: cut the sponge into circles, put onto serving plates in greased 8cm chef's rings.
2. For the meringue: bring the water and sugar to 118C-120C. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and drizzle in the hot sugar while whisking. Add the coffee essence just before you finish mixing. The meringue should become quite firm. Set aside and put some into a piping bag.
3. For the chocolate sauce: heat the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves and then por over the chocolate. The heat from the syrup will melt the chocolate.
4. For the ice cream: quickly whizz the frozen bananas with the sugar, vanilla and buttermilk in a food processor for about 20 seconds until smooth.
5. Working quickly, put a spoonful of the ice cream on top of the sponge in the chef's rings and cover with the meringue. Slide the rings off and pipe some meringue around the cake.
6. To finish, quickly scorch the meringue with a blowtorch to give it a golden colour. You could also do this in an oven set to 200C/180C fan/gas 4 for 2 minutes but watch it carefully. Serve with a large spoonful of warm chocolate sauce.
Rate This Recipe