- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the vegetable marinade
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs basil, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs coriander, finely chopped
- 30 ml fish sauce
- 10 g black peppercorns, crushed
- 20 ml hoi sin sauce
- 20 ml oyster sauce
- splashes soy sauce
- 15 g ginger, freshly grated
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 sheet banana leaf
- 4x red snapper fillets
For the sautéed vegetables
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 plantain
- 1 cassava
- 6 okra
- 8 sugar snap peas
For the dressing
- 20 ml soy sauce
- 20 ml fish sauce
- 20 ml olive oil
- 1-2 chillies, sliced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Wash the fish under cold running water, pat dry with a tea towel. Score the fish with a sharp knife and leave to rest. Season with salt and pepper.
2. To make the sautéed vegetables: peel the sweet potatoes and cut into thin wedges. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the wedges gently for 6-10 minutes until cooked and golden brown. Lightly season with salt and remove from the pan.
3. Peel the plantain and cut into 2.5cm thick slices. Gently cook them in the oil until golden brown.
4. Peel the cassava and cut into thin wedges. Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes then cook gently in a little oil until golden brown. Season with a little salt.
5. Place the okra in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and leave to cool.
6. Cook the sugar snap peas in the same way as the okra.
7. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and when hot add all the vegetables and heat through for about 5 minutes.
8. To make the vegetable marinade: Mix the spring onions, basil and coriander with the fish sauce, peppercorns and a pinch of salt and mix well. Add the hoi sin, oyster and soy sauces ginger and lemon juice. In a large mixing bowl add the vegetables to the marinade and stir well to ensure that all the vegetables are coated. Leave to stand for a few minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
10. Place a sheet of banana leaves on a work surface. Place the vegetables on the leaves, followed by the seasoned red snapper, then the vegetables. Wrap tightly, making sure you fold the ends to avoid any leakage form the parcel.
11. Place the parcel on a baking tray and cook for about 25 minutes until the fish is cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
12. To make the dressing: combine all the ingredients, stirring well.
13. To serve: place the parcel on a serving plate and serve with the dressing.
Rate This Recipe