- Serves: makes 1 x 23cm tart
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the sweet short crust pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- 115 g butter
- 55 g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 6 bananas
- 55 g butter
- 55 g soft brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 55 g caster sugar
- 225 ml double cream or crème fraîche
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the meringue topping
- 3 egg whites
- 115 g caster sugar
1. For the pastry: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Place the flour in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, followed by the egg yolk and water. Mix until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
3. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and use to line a deep 23cm flan tin.
4. Line with greaseproof paper or foil and weigh down with beans or rice to prevent the pastry rising. Bake 'blind' for 15 minutes or until the base is dry.
5. For the filling: peel and cut the bananas in half and then slice lengthways.
6. Heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the bananas until golden brown on both sides. Cover with the sugar and lemon juice, then cover the pan and cook for about 1 minute to melt the sugar. Remove from the heat.
7. Whisk the whole egg, egg yolks and caster sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
8. Heat the cream and vanilla in a pan until almost boiling, and then pour onto the egg and sugar mixture, stirring gently together.
9. Place the bananas and their juices into the pastry case and pour the cream and egg mixture over the top.
10. Bake for 30 minutes until set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
11. For the meringue topping: reduce the oven temperature to 180C/gas 4.
12. Whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks, and then gradually fold in the sugar, a spoonful at a time.
13. Cover the cooled tart with the meringue topping and return to the oven, Cook for about 15 minutes until the meringue is golden and crisp.
Rate This Recipe