- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 200 g strong wholemeal flour
- 200 g plain flour, plus extra for kneading and dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 ripe bananas
- 250 ml buttermilk, or 250g low-fat natural yoghurt
- 100 ml semi-skimmed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220/gas 7. Mix the flours, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
2. Peel the bananas and mash them to a pulp. Add to the flour with the buttermilk or yoghurt and enough semi-skimmed milk to make a firm (but not dry) dough. Knead lightly until smooth, then shape into a 23-cm (9-inch) round.
3. Cut the round into six wedges. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and sprinkle with a little flour. Bake for 20-30 minutes until browned and crusty. Cool on a wire rack.
The Hi Lo Cookbook contains all recipes from this series, buy it now at amazon.co.uk
Rate This Recipe