- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the banana tarte tatin
- 30 ml rum
- 50 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 25 g butter
- 3-4 bananas
- 200 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
For the white chocolate custard
- 6 egg yolks
- 125 g sugar
- 400 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 150 g white chocolate, (preferably milky bar)
1. For the banana tarte tatin: preheat the oven to 190C/gas5.
2. Put the rum and water in a heavy-bottomed pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Heat, without stirring, until the sugar melts then turns golden. Stir in the butter and pour the mixture into 2 baby blini pans (or an ovenproof frying pan to make one large tarte).
3. Thickly slice the bananas and pack tightly into the pans. Roll out the pastry and cut into 2 circles. Press over the top of the pans and trim the edges. Brush the tops with a little beaten egg.
4. Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, until the pastry is well risen and golden. Meanwhile make the custard.
5. For the custard: whisk the yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
6. Put the milk and vanilla seeds into a pan and bring it really slowly to just below the boil. Take off the heat, pour over the egg mix and whisk it well.
7. Return to the heat and stir in the chocolate. Cook very gently, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
8. Turn out the tarts onto plates and serve with the custard.
Rate This Recipe