- Serves: Makes 12
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: hard
For the ice cream
- 350 ml double cream
- 350 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 8 egg yolks
- 150 g caster sugar
- 200 g dulce de leche
For the cones
- 115 g butter, softened
- 140 g icing sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 115 g plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar, to make a caramel
For the caramel banana sauce
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 50 ml double cream
- 100 g pretzels, crumbled
1. For the ice cream: warm the cream, milk and vanilla in a pan. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
2. Continue whisking the eggs and sugar and add the warmed cream, milk and vanilla mixture to the bowl, then transfer the mixture back into the pan. Heat gently and stir until the mixture thickens but be very careful not to let it boil. It should be just thick enough to draw a line through it with a spoon.
3. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and then put in an ice cream machine. Follow the machine's instructions to churn the mixture.
4. For the cones: mix all the ingredients together and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour until it is a firm paste. Take the lid of an old ice cream tub or similarly thick plastic and cut a stencil shape out of it that looks like a wide rectangle bent into a rainbow shape.
5. On a lined baking tray, spread the mixture over the hole in the stencil and use extra mixture to pipe a crown around the top and a swirl of the mixture to make round bases for the cones to sit on. Bake at 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly brown. When still hot, shape into a cone shape.
6. Secure the cones to the bases by making a caramel, by heating caster sugar in a pan. Dip the bottoms of the cones in the caramel and stick them to the bases.
7. For the banana sauce: place the diced bananas in the remaining caramel with the cream.
8. Fill the cones by alternating between crushed pretzels and the caramel banana sauce.
9. Finish off by stirring some dulce de leche through the churned ice cream. Top off the cone with a generous scoop of ice cream.
Rate This Recipe