- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus at least 2 hrs marinating
- Effort: medium
- 1x1.8 kg free-range chicken
For the marinade
- 100 ml tomato ketchup
- 100 ml brown sauce
- 1 lime, juice only
- dash tabasco
- 5 tbsp cola
- good dash Worcestershire sauce
- shake celery salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- small bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. For the chicken: place the chicken on a chopping board and with a large heavy knife; remove the central backbone with one firm vertical chop on each side. Once removed, turn the chicken over and push flat. Remove the rib bones. You should now have one flattened piece of chicken, skin side down.
2. For the marinade: mix all the ingredients and a good twist of pepper together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken and make sure the marinade covers it well. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
3. Preheat the barbecue or grill. Make sure the barbeque has a good, even heat in the coals. If it is too hot, the skin will burn, but the middle will still be pink.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook thoroughly, for about 40 minutes, turning it every 10 minutes.
Rate This Recipe