- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 generous sprigs sage
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 kg piece of braising beef, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 bottles red wine
- 1 litres beef stock
1. Heat the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole dish. Soften the vegetables in the olive oil over a low heat with the bay leaves, sage and garlic cloves.
2. Once softened, add the beef, increase the heat to seal the meat.
3. Add the wine and allow it to boil and reduce by ¾.
4. Once reduced add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer the beef gently for 2-2 ½ hours or until completely tender.
5. Remove the beef from the pan and using a draining spoon and wrap in foil to keep warm. Increase the heat in the pan to a boil and allow the sauce to reduce by ½.
6. Remove the sage and bay leaves, liquidising the sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Slice the beef and spoon over the sauce to serve.
Rate This Recipe