- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes , depending on grain
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g pearl barley
- 6 tinned anchovies, in oil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small radicchio, finely sliced
- 80 g rocket
- black pepper
1. Place the barley in a saucepan, cover generously with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Half-cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer steadily for 25-45 minutes (depending on the type of barley used) or until the grains are tender. Drain in a colander, rinse well under cold running water, then set aside to drain thoroughly.
2. Meanwhile, drain the anchovies on absorbent paper and chop roughly if desired. Combine the olive oil, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the anchovies and season to taste, being careful with the salt as the anchovies will be salty.
3. Finely slice the radicchio and place it in a salad bowl. When the barley has drained, toss it with the radicchio, mixing in the dressing at the same time. Just before serving, add the rocket leaves and gently fold them through, adjusting the seasoning as desired once more before taking the salad to the table.
Rate This Recipe