- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 50 g pearl barley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 300 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into smallish chunks
- 2 green tea tea bags
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 100 g tofu, diced
- 2 tbsp flax seed oil
1. Put the barley in a pot with 1.2 litres of water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a 3-litre pot. Add the onion, leek and garlic and sauté until the onions soften, stirring often.
3. Add the pumpkin to the pot of vegetables, then tip in the barley and its cooking liquor. Bring to the boil, cover and leave to simmer until the pumpkin is just cooked.
4. Turn the heat off under the soup and stir in the teabags. Leave to steep for 3 minutes, then remove the teabags. Mix in the soy sauce and tofu then taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, adding extra soy or salt if needed.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with the flax seed oil before serving.
Rate This Recipe