- Serves: makes 35 cookies
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 225 g butter, at room temperature
- 110 g caster sugar
- 275 g plain flour
- ground spices, or finely grated zest (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
2. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in a food mixer until soft and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
3. Sift in the flour and spices or grated zest (if using) and bring the mixture together to form a firm dough.
4. Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut-sized balls and place them slightly apart on a baking tray (no need to grease or line). Flatten them slightly with the back of a damp fork and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes, or until they are light golden brown and slightly firm on top.
5. Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Adapted from Rachel Allen, Bake (Collins)
Rate This Recipe